README - BEAVERUN GPS V1.01 - by RudyD (Raido), 2011
This is the rFactor version.
-UPDATED to V1.01, fixed mipmap issue and startlights for the GTR2/GTL version.
- Added fix for 'crash to desktop' problem: see below.
(Also, GTL version:
This is a simulation rendition of BeaveRun, Pennsylvania, USA. The track opened in 2002 and is located about 45 minutes from Pittsburgh. It's not that well known yet, but something of a hidden surprise if you like fast but flowing club tracks.
At some point I got into contact with Tom Griffith, who rode the real track a while ago and managed to capture its data with a GPS data logger.
While not as accurate as for instance laser scanning, GPS does allow for registering some basic layout and elevation data. With Tom's help I was able to load those into Bob's Track Builder - mainly for the elevations - and then construct the track's layout using recent Google Earth sat pictures and videos. This worked out rather nicely. Hence the name, 'Beaverun GPS'.
In short, it's basic, but the track's main features should be there. Hope you'll have fun with it. I hope to update it into a V1.5 version later on.
The track was mainly developed and tested for rFactor, GTR2 and GTL (running on a Mac) using Bob's Track Builder.
Since the real track is mainly used for club and historic racing, tests were done using the AE86 V2.0 mod, Vintage Formula Vee, GTL cars (modded), Plickbadger's Spec Miata, Vintage Formula Ford, rF Caterham and other lower-powered mods.
To install, extract and copy the track folder to your rFactor\GameData\Locations\ folder.
NOTE: If you'd like the AI to speed up or slow down a bit, raise or lower the Worst/Mid/Bestadjust values in the .aiw file by about 0.1 at first and experiment a bit until you're happy with it. For GTR2/GTL, also look into adjusting the RaceRatio value.
Conversions of this track are expressly allowed, as long as proper credit is given.
- Known issues:
- The AI may not be setup that well for long(er) races, I tested them mainly during short ones, without pit stops.
- Road textures look pretty blurry if set to lower quality, set texture quality to Full if possible
- Possible fix if the track CTD's for you (does for some people but not for all, may be a Windows file permissions problem), this worked for some at least:
load the beaverun.scn file inside BeaverunGPS in Notepad and delete the bit at the bottom that starts with 'Instance=RotateY-0.07_contrails' and everything that comes after it. This should remove some of the added animation bits from the track and stop those files from loading in automatically. Save the file from Notepad and try again.
Credits and thanks go to:
- Tom Griffith for GPS data
- Ralph Z for bump and track data
- Piddy/ Bob's Track Builder
- ComX or VLM: Birds
- Contrails: Ilya/KittX (also alt. skyfile/dds)
- The dudes and dudettes at Racedepartment.com for Xpacks and for helping out.
RudyD (The Netherlands)
|There are currently no setups for BeaveRun GPS. Add a Setup.|